General Contractor Serving Chicago and the Northern Suburbs
If you are working with an architect of your choice and have plans ready for construction, Canada & Klein can serve as General Contractor to complete your project. Canada & Klein will use its breadth of experience, skill and knowledge to assist you and your architect to construct a durable, efficient and beautiful home.
What does a General Contractor do?
When we work with clients in the capacity of a general contractor we are hired to oversee the construction of a residential or small commercial project in of any size from waterproofing a basement or replacing windows to a single room renovation or addition or building a whole new house. The GC's responsibilities include:
Obtaining multiple estimates (costs based on the work specified on the architectural plans) from licensed and insured subcontractors such as carpenters, plumbers, electricians, flooring and tile installers among many other trades
- Assembling the most cost-and-value-efficient estimate for each trade into a total contract price for the client's approval
- Managing the contracts of all the chosen sub-contractor tradespeople
- Obtaining the required permits and becoming familiar with local building codes
- Scheduling the sub-contractor work and overseeing every step of the construction process from preparation and protection of the site through final inspections, clean-up and 'tweaks.'
- Communicating constantly with the architect or designer and the client to answer questions and facilitate on-site adjustments
- Providing construction expertise and solving on-site problems as the giant jigsaw puzzle that is modern construction is assembled. Each piece of that puzzle from excavation, sewer, concrete, framing, roofing, insulation, windows, electricity, plumbing and HVAC to flooring, tile, cabinets, plumbing fixtures, appliances, hardware, paint and landscaping must be installed as perfectly as possible for a successful completion of the project.
- Processing all the paperwork that is generated by the purchase of materials and the labor of sub-contractors, managing the payments made by the client and paying the sub-contractors in a timely and equitable manner What if you don't have a preferred architect or don't know how to choose an architect for your project?
Canada & Klein has completed many projects of all sizes and complexity working in tandem with the architect to serve our clients. We have worked with many fine architects throughout the city of Chicago and the northern suburbs. We can help you locate an architectural firm that meets your needs both stylistically and with respect to the scope of services it offers.